April 02, 2012

Make It Your Own Monday: I got it from my Momma!

Happy Monday lovelies,

A few weeks ago, The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton gave her first public speech wearing a gorgeous dress.

People were also pleasantly surprised to find that the dress was borrowed from her mother, Carole (also my mother's name!). Most people find their mother's clothes either horrifying or completely lovely so it's really a hit or miss, but I was so happy to see such an inspiring, and stylish public figure going back to her roots and borrowing from her mom.
This cobalt dress is by Reiss

I'm sure every little girl goes into their mother's closet and picks out "big girl clothes" and plays dress up, but I will confess that I do this all the time! Occasionally I'll pick pieces that were bought in the past few years so they look modern, but my favorite things to "steal" are her clothes that she's kept from the 80s and 90s. 
The dress I'm wearing is actually my mother's sleeping dress from  the 90s. I wear it ALL THE TIME, probably my most worn piece by far.

My mom's jean shirt. I wear this often as well because it's really versatile. People ask me all the time if I got it at Forever 21 or Urban Outfitters, and they are always really surprised to hear my answer; my mom's closet.

Maybe if your mom's closet of clothes isn't your cup of tea, may I suggest vintage shopping.  It's an excellent way to revive other people's gently worn clothes and still give off a retro vibe.

xx Andie

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute post.
    Makes me want to go through my mom's closet!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my SOULmates xoshalikaxo